Search my blog!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's snowing.......In Central Alabama!

Which means several things.......

1. There is NO milk or bread in the grocery store
--Seriously. When our weathergod, James Spann calls for snow.....everyone goes out and buys milk and bread. No ones knows why we are buying milk and bread, but we do it. I'd bet you 10 to 1 that right now there isn't a loaf of bread or gallon of milk to be had at any local grocery store!

2. Kids are out of school
--As soon as we think snow is coming our way, schools get closed. Yesterday afternoon our school board decided to dismiss school at 10:40AM today due to snow. You see, we here in Central Alabama MAY see 1 inch of snow a year. If we are lucky. So we don't have the equipment necessary to clear the roads. So the school buses can't safely get kids home in inclement weather. So yes, we close schools if there is 1/2 an inch of snow or the possibility of ice on the roads.

3. Everything else closes too
--As soon as it actually starts snowing businesses shut down too. Again, we can't safely get to and from anywhere if there's snow on the roads. AND, most people here have never driven in the snow, so it's not a good idea to be out on the road.

4. Someone is talking about "The Blizzard of 1993"
--it never fails. As soon as we hear "snow" that is someone's cue to begin talking about "no power for 9 days, no water for 7 days, 2 feet of snow, 3+ feet in the snow drifts". I'm sure you can google it, but I have no desire to do so. But we did indeed have 2 feet of snow here in Alabama in March of 1993. I lived through it. I was in the process of having my birthday party on the Friday night it began snowing.

5. Someone is sarcastically saying "It must be global warming".
--See, James Spann (Central Alabama's weather jesus) says there's no such thing. So do Rick and Bubba. So most of us (myself included) do not believe in global warming. The fact that it's been colder longer for the last two weeks in Alabama than it has been in over 25 years just reinforces that point.

Honestly, I wish it would really snow. For my kids sake. Cam is 10 and has never really seen snow. We've had half an inch or so, but never even enough for a snowman. James Spann predicts 1 to 2 inches for us this time. Let's hope he's right, and I have snow pictures to post tomorrow!
As I typed this it began snowing really hard, and because it has been so blasted cold the last several days here the snow is actually sticking! Typically when we do get snow the ground is so warm that it melts on contact. You have to understand that our average temperature for this time of year is 54 degrees. It has been about 25 degrees all week!! So maybe, just maybe......


Signature

3 comments:

Alison said...

I found you from Kelly and had to say hi when I saw you guys manage Sonics. OH, how I love Sonic! I craved it when I lived in Chicago and happy hour is the most genius thing ever. :)
I hope you guys get the snow to play in tomorrow. We are in Arkansas and it's just painfully cold here right now.

ishatrisha said...

i just don't get it. everything was perfect for us to have a great snow day, but it just didn't happen! i just finished posting on my blog about "the snowy let down", and then i'm cruising through and see your post! how funny is that. we may have missed our big chance for snow this year! i remember the blizzard of 93' very well...we didn't lose power, so it was just a week of fun for us! maybe next time.

trisha

Brandy524 said...

You stayed with us during part of that blizzard. No power, only our imaginations to entertain us, and lots of snow. I remember sliding down Main Street on the ice, I think we ended up just sliding on our butts in windsuit pants; flipping off the monkey bars and just letting go and falling into the snow. The Cornbread Hill kids had a lot of fun that week!